Summary: Twisted Vine Brewery is a three-man craft brewery located in Iowa, with a passion for creating the best possible beer. To achieve this goal, they wanted to implement a control system in order to automate and monitor the brewing process. The Twisted Vine team selected a Unitronics Vision1040 programmable logic controller+HMI because it was reliable and robust, capable of running in the steamy brewing conditions. Additionally, the all-in-one programming software was easy to use and quick to set up.
Situated in the picturesque hills of St. Charles, Iowa, Twisted Vine Brewery creates unique, hand-crafted beer. Beer is a labor of love at this three-man operation and the Twisted Vine team is dedicated to both the art and science of brewing. In order to produce their great craft beer, the team at Twisted Vine was searching for a robust and reliable controller that would enable them to brew with meticulous attention to detail for a consistent, delicious end result.
“My experience with Unitronics products has enabled me to produce systems that are more productive and user friendly … This system has kept our products at the optimum temperature while keeping our development and operating cost at their lowest.” –Steve Becker
No one at twisted Vine had experience using programmable controllers, so they were looking for a platform that was easy to learn and use. They needed to be able to monitor and control the fermentation temperature, to implement tools like the timers for tracking hop additions, and to monitors trends and outputs remotely. They also wanted a control system that they could expand easily as their business grows.
Additionally, space in the brewery is very limited, so they needed a compact PLC robust enough to be mounted next to the mash tun. Their mash tun is kept at 150 degrees Fahrenheit during the brewing process and the mash is rinsed in water as hot as 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Any PLC Twisted Vine installed needed to be robust enough to be exposed to high temperatures and large amounts of steam and condensation without failing.
The Unitronics Vision1040™ programmable logic controller, paired with a V200-18-E3XB snap-in I/O module, was able to accommodate all these requirements with ease. The Twisted Vine team programmed the Vision1040 to control a rotary phase converter, which powers a three-phase chiller, glycol pump and the glycol valves on the jacketed fermentation and conditioning tanks. They also rely on Unitronics’ complimentary data-logging and remote access software utilities; they monitor temperature trends remotely, turning temperature loops on and off as needed from anywhere with internet access. Additionally, with a NEMA4X/IP65 environment rating, the Vision1040™ was able to withstand the hot steamy conditions.
Not only did Unitronics provide a powerful programmable logic controller, according to co-owner Steven Becker, the all-in-one design and single-environment software made the Vision1040 an intuitive and cost-effective choice for their operations. “The free software and many online tutorials made it easy to learn and it was a low cost and powerful solution,” explains Becker.
In fact, Twisted Vine Brewery is already planning to expand their control system with the help of Unitronics. They are introducing water-use monitoring and valve control to control the amount of water in their mash, which will improve the consistency of the product and free up their attention from watching the water meter to more productive tasks. Becker says, “my experience with Unitronics products has enabled me to produce systems that are more productive and user friendly … This system has kept our products at the optimum temperature while keeping our development and operating cost at their lowest.”
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- MSI TecCan a PLC survive in the Arizona desert?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- BimetecHow can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- OPA consultingHow can retrofitting old controls with an all-in-one PLC improve machine flexibility?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- StratasysUnitronics PLCs & Servos: Servo Made Simple Precision Motion Control in Extruder Application
- Grupo Electrotecnia GalianaRemote Control – HVAC Compressor Test Bench Meets Global Power Standards & Requirements
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?