How can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
Industry - Packaging
Bimetec specializes in offering control automation solutions to the agricultural and related industries. For one recent project, they retrofitted the can packaging lines at Bakker Brothers Seed, installing PLC control. Bimetec used a Unitronics Vision1210 and a 4.3-inch Samba programmable logic controller for the project; these PLCs were a great fit because of their easy-to-use, integrated color-touch HMIs, advanced communications and single-environment programming software.
"Bimetec selected the Unitronics Vision1210 not only because it met a wide set of requirements, but was also favorably priced"
Bimetec, a Dutch company, traditionally specialized in mechanization and control automation for the agricultural industry. Although they also offer machine renovations, repairs and maintenance, Bimetec focuses on new construction and innovation projects. Recently, Bimetec completely renovated two mechanical can-packaging machines at Bakker Brothers Seed. These canning lines consist of four activities: seed weighing, canning, check weighing, and labeling.
Two points on the line were specifically targeted for the renovation. First, Bimetec designed a new control cabinet for the check weighing station, where the weights of the cans are verified before they are labeled. They installed a programmable logic controller (PLC) that had to meet several requirements.
The control cabinet required a large touchscreen to enable the machine operator to easily and efficiently access the necessary menus and operations. For motion and frequency control, the PLC needed sufficient communication ports, including Ethernet, serial and CANbus. Furthermore, the PLC needed to be able to connect to both local and remote inputs and outputs. Secondly, Bimetec wanted to add a separate PLC to the labeling machine, so that it could be operated independently of the main system.
Influenced by prior experience with Unitronics, Bimetec selected the Unitronics Vision1210 as the primary PLC. It not only met the requirements, but was also competitively priced. For the second, smaller PLC on the labeling machine, Bimetec chose a Unitronics SAMBA PLC with a 4.3-inch color-touch HMI panel. Both PLCs are programmed in one, single-environment software package, an important cost saving advantage.
The Vision1210 controls the canning line; cans are led to a filling unit through a carousel platform with the weighing and filling station installed overhead. A buffer, mounted above the station, fills the cans with seeds. In order to meet the high production speed, Bimetec installed two filling stations; while one unit is being filled, the second unit is brought to the correct weight. Each filling unit has a Unitronics load cell module and the measurements from those modules are connected directly to the load cell strain gauge converter on the controller; the high sample rate of this converter enables efficient filling. Once the weight is confirmed, the cover is installed on the filled can before it moves to the labeling station.
The labeling station has a stand-alone PLC with a touchscreen, the Unitronics SAMBA. Having a second touchscreen was a practical advantage, as the operator does not have to walk to the main panel every time they need to adjust a setting, saving time and effort. The label is attached and then the can’s weight is checked again. If the weight is correct, then the can moves on to be packaged. Bimetec designed the canning line so that it is possible to switch between the various types of seeds, can sizes, and types of labels simply for increased flexibility. Using the touchscreen interface, the speeds of the conveyors and the filling weights can also be set. With the help of these improvements, the new canning line can now reach a speed of 750 cans per hour!
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- MSI TecCan a PLC survive in the Arizona desert?
- Twisted Vine BreweryHow can craft brewers achieve the product consistency of larger operations despite limited automation experience?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- OPA consultingHow can retrofitting old controls with an all-in-one PLC improve machine flexibility?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- StratasysUnitronics PLCs & Servos: Servo Made Simple Precision Motion Control in Extruder Application
- Grupo Electrotecnia GalianaRemote Control – HVAC Compressor Test Bench Meets Global Power Standards & Requirements
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?