Summary: MSI Tec, a distributor of industrial automation equipment including Unitronics PLC+HMIs, was contracted to redesign the control system for the City of Tucson’s well pumps. Tucson Water had requirements, including the ability to communicate with their SCADA system, but the biggest challenge was finding a unit that would operate reliably in Arizona’s extreme temperatures, which range from upwards of 100 degrees Fahrenheit to well below freezing, a range of about 40 to 0 degrees Celsius. MSI Tec installed the Unitronics Vision570, a robust, reliable PLC with an integrated color-touch HMI on more than 40 sites throughout the city; these units have never failed in the heat and continue working without losing screen readability.
MSI Tec, a distributor of industrial automation equipment and system integrator, was put to the task of designing a control panel for natural gas engines at the City of Tucson’s well pumps. There pumps are an important part of the City of Tucson’s plan to provide water to its more than 500,000 citizens. The city maintains well pumps at 43 sites around the city and the cost per engine and shaft can be greater than $400,000. If these engines experience any rapid changes in RPM, it can cause a large column of water to shift up and down quickly, potentially causing a lot of damage. Due to the scale of the project and of the potential damage if any errors occur, MSI Tec knew a robust and reliable controller was necessary for these control panels.
“By combining low cost I/O, communications, PLC functionality, and an HMI in a single package, Unitronics delivered more capability for less money.” – Matthew Cronin
MSI Tec settled on the Unitronics Vision570, programmable logic controller with integrated HMI panel. Matthew Cronin, MSI Tec’s engineering manager explains the advantage of this all-in-one approach, saying “by combining low cost I/O, communications, PLC functionality, and an HMI in a single package, Unitronics delivered more capability for less money…This system required a diverse combination of analog inputs and outputs, digital inputs and outputs, and high speed pulse outputs. Unitronics had a flexible and affordable set of I/O cards to accomplish this."
However, one of the biggest challenges associated with this project is the environment itself. Tucson’s temperature frequently climbs above 110 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer and the lows often drop below freezing in the winter. The Vision570s are mounted outside in uninsulated panels, so they need to stay reliable even in extreme temperatures; in the three years the panels have been installed, there have been over 250 days with the temperature above 100 degrees—about 38 degrees Celsius. The high quality of Unitronics’ touch screens allowed them to be resilient to the temperature and sun exposure. Cronin describes having to manually update the control systems in July:
The temperature was so hot that we couldn’t keep our computers running for more than 10 minutes…in the shade. In order to update the stations, we used cars with air-conditioned seats; we had to leave the cars running the entire day to keep the air and the seats cool enough for the laptops to not lock up…Despite this excessive heat, the Unitronics’ PLCs kept running without a problem.
Mike McMahon of Tucson Water adds "another amazing thing to note is that the display screens are still as easy to read now, as when they were new. This was a major problem with our old panels." Not only are the Unitronics Vision570s’ screens still readable after several years, they also provides a 5.7” color, touchscreen for a comparable price to the customer's previous system, which only had a 2-line display. Using the touchscreen made the system significantly easier to operate. The all-in-one design also reduces the necessary wiring and saves programming time, using Unitronics, single environment programming software.
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- Twisted Vine BreweryHow can craft brewers achieve the product consistency of larger operations despite limited automation experience?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- BimetecHow can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- OPA consultingHow can retrofitting old controls with an all-in-one PLC improve machine flexibility?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- StratasysUnitronics PLCs & Servos: Servo Made Simple Precision Motion Control in Extruder Application
- Grupo Electrotecnia GalianaRemote Control – HVAC Compressor Test Bench Meets Global Power Standards & Requirements
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?