Summary: OPA Consulting Services provide industrial process control solutions, including retrofitting for a wide range of industries and customers. OPA often relies on Unitronics PLC+HMI controllers to offer powerful, easy-to-use solutions. For one recent project, OPA replaced the 40 year old control system on a monofilament extrusion machine with Unitronics PLCs. The new controls were user-friendly—with integrated HMI panels—and increased the application’s flexibility, letting the customer switch between local and remote functions.
“We needed powerful controllers at very affordable prices…we benefited tremendously by using the Unitronics Vision series programmable controllers (PLC/HMI) right off the bat, just by having the HMI and PLC all in one. Another important factor was the Ethernet (Modbus TCP/IP) communication port capability.” - George Lipovan, systems engineer.
OPA Consulting Services, Inc. of North Carolina is an engineering service provider, offering their customers the latest proven technology in industrial process control. Their services include system integration, custom control panels, and machine retrofitting, provided by experience industrial automation specialists. For one recent project, OPA completely automated monofilament extrusion and downstream equipment, focusing on flexibility and affordability.
OPA’s customer had purchased an outdated monofilament extrusion line from a company that went out of business; OPA was contracted to replace the 40 year old controls. The new controls needed to efficiently and reliably monitor, control and download recipes to manufacture monofilament yarn. The machine begins the process by taking plastic pellets that enter the extruder. The extruder consists of a long screw that is rotated by a large AC motor, and transports the chips through a series of high temperature and compression zones. At the end of the extruder is a spin pump that controls the feed rate of the molten polymer to spinneret. This produces molten monofilament yarns that are very hot and fragile. The fibers then go through a quench bath, draw stands, and hot air ovens that give this end product its desired physical properties.
This entire process is now being controlled by two Unitronics’ Vision1040s, and nine Vision560s; these all in one PLC+HMI units offered robust and reliable control with integrated color-touch HMIs. “We needed powerful controllers at very affordable prices,” explained George Lipovan, systems engineer for OPA. He continued, saying “we benefited tremendously by using the Unitronics Vision series PLC/HMI right off the bat, just by having the HMI and PLC all in one. Another important factor was the Ethernet (Modbus TCP/IP) communication port capability.”
Ultimately, the reliability and flexibility of OPA’s solution was key to the extrusion lines’ success. If they wanted to replace one machine line element, all they would need to do is unplug the power and the Ethernet cable and slide a different one in its place. Each machine—including the extruder, the quench bath, the draw stands, and hot air oven—needed to have a local PLC and HMI so they could see the current machine conditions and be able to switch from “Remote” to “Local” control. This allowed the customer to fine tune the extrusion process to perfection. Once these parameters have been established, they are read back into the recipe file and stored on the server- then back to “Remote” for synchronizes operation.
Each machine contains an Ethernet switch with a dual purpose. Using the Modbus TCP/IP network the Unitronics PLC to communicate with the variable speed drive for speed controls when needed. The Ethernet communications also link all the machines to SCADA to simultaneously monitor and control each individual machine to perform and process specific tasks. A total of eleven machine elements are on this Modbus TCP/IP network, controlled by a supervisory controller that in turn stores and receives commands from the office network. Essentially, the supervisory controller serves as a bridge between the production equipment and the management network.
Unitronics is “not a small fish in the sea!” says Lipovan. “At first, a few years ago, I really did not pay too much attention to the Vision series, but the more I came to understand them, I’d wished I would have used them much earlier!”
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- MSI TecCan a PLC survive in the Arizona desert?
- Twisted Vine BreweryHow can craft brewers achieve the product consistency of larger operations despite limited automation experience?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- BimetecHow can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- StratasysUnitronics PLCs & Servos: Servo Made Simple Precision Motion Control in Extruder Application
- Grupo Electrotecnia GalianaRemote Control – HVAC Compressor Test Bench Meets Global Power Standards & Requirements
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?