Summary: When a nuclear site closes down, an extensive decommissioning and decontamination process begins. This must be done with the utmost care. Tecnubel is a specialist in the field of nuclear decontamination, dismantling of nuclear facilities and contaminated parts, radioactive waste treatment and other nuclear support services. Based in Belgium, Tecnuble developed a decontamination skid specifically for the rinsing of heavily contaminated cells where isotopes Strontium 90 (Sr-90 and Y-90 were treated.
During the time that a nuclear site is in active production, these cells are equipped with an automated supply and discharge system, which is disabled when production stops. The radioactive radiation both inside and around these cells is so high that long-term human intervention is unacceptable. To lower this radiation level sufficiently to allow human intervention, these cells would be decontaminated via the skid.
The skid consists of a series of controlled valves, diaphragm pumps, a vacuum pump and a cyclone separator. Together they ensure that the different elements within the cell can be flushed according to specific programs, each adapted to the specifications of the part to be flushed.
Nitric acid solution is flushed through a small opening at the back of the cell. The Strontium present in the cell is thereby dissolved and then pumped out to a shielded vessel for storage and later transport.
For the most current contamination project, Tecnubel has investigated the various possibilities in the field of control. This is how Tecnubel came into contact with Isotron Systems. The Unitronics range was presented on the basis of working demo applications, which soon made it clear that the user-friendly and clear software enabled simple, but certainly also more complex applications to be executed. After various demos and reviewing references from the market, the Unitronics UniStream PLC + HMI was finally chosen. The combination of UniStream PLC, 15-inch color touch screen and 3rd party IO-Link master turned out to be the best option for the decontamination skid.
The screen with a resolution of 1366x768 pixels with 16M colors (24-bit) is easy to read and gives a clear overview of the entire system.
In this specific application, the screen is placed vertically.
By means of the UniLogic software that is fully included in the price, including future updates, the process can be visualized by means of the extensive graphic library.
UniLogic ™ is the programming environment for both the PLC and the HMI, the variables only need to be created once. In addition, UniLogic has user -defined function blocks (UDFB) that can be easily reused in other projects. The program for cleaning the installations can be easily set via various menus with steps.
Tecnubel, located in Dessel (BE), is a specialized company in the dismantling and decontamination of active nuclear power plants and nuclear sites. They are also increasingly working for closed or nearly closed nuclear sites that are in the decommissioning phase. With more than 600 motivated employees, they take care of the implementation, engineering and project management. They are continuously trained in the latest techniques, insights and methods.
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- Biolyte-Orchid Scientific-Vijay EnterprisesPharmaceutical and Laboratory Applications –Automating with Unitronics PLC Controllers
- Hovendak DistillerySpirit Control! Bottling Gin, Vodka, Aquavit—with Unitronics PLCs
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- Mechatronics RoboticsFuture-proofing Automation: Unitronics PLCs Educates The Next Generation
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Twisted Vine BreweryHow can craft brewers achieve the product consistency of larger operations despite limited automation experience?
- MSI TecCan a PLC survive in the Arizona desert?
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- BimetecHow can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- OPA consultingHow can retrofitting old controls with an all-in-one PLC improve machine flexibility?
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- StratasysUnitronics PLCs & Servos: Servo Made Simple Precision Motion Control in Extruder Application
- Grupo Electrotecnia GalianaRemote Control – HVAC Compressor Test Bench Meets Global Power Standards & Requirements
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?