Summary: Students in the Robotics/Mechatronics program at ONC BOCES, are now learning on systems powered by Unitronics PLCs. Boces replaced their former training system at the recommendation of Nils Anderson, an instructor in the program which is based in upper New York state.
The future of automation depends on educating the next generation of control engineers. Nils Anderson is a Robotics/Mechatronics instructor at ONC BOCES, the Otsego Northern Catskills Board of Cooperative Educational Services. The goal of the program is to bring Automation and Robotic Training to their students and local industry, teaching them how to create motor control systems
When he came to teach there, he found that they had purchased prepackaged training equipment based on Allen Bradley components.
Unfortunately, this equipment did not include the licensing for the AB software. After the hassle of attempting to coordinate through the educational distributor and AB, Nils saw that budget limitations made it impossible to purchase the necessary software licenses.
Nils started looking for a better option--PLCs with free software, even though this would require retrofitting the existing mechanical trainers and setting up hydronic trainers.
During his research, he came across Unitronics, a company that manufactures and markets the hardware components he required—PLCs, HMIs, Servos and motors, VFDs and related products--that provides free software for PLC programming, motion control, and HMI application design.
Then, quite by chance, he was introduced to John Anastasiades at a social event. When Nils discovered that John was a support engineer at Unitronics, he said: “I have questions for you!”.
Nils recounts his experience with Unitronics:
“From that moment on I have had nothing but excellent guidance, answers to questions, support, and coordination from Unitronics. They worked with one of my Advisory Committe members at Ralph W Earl Automation in Syracuse to get me more information and specifying the equipment I needed. Unitronics even donated five UniStream 5" PLC + HMI controllers, enabling my students to build our own PLC trainers during last spring's COVID lockdown. It helped us make virtual learning so much better!
“Our program is very appreciative of the way that Unitronics and their local distributor, Ralph W. Earl Automation, has taken the time to get us started in our venture.
“I have been very impressed that I could go from a company that would not work with me, to a company that was willing to do anything to help get me started. Our goal is to bring Automation and Robotic Training to our students and local industry. I am working with local industries who are looking at automation but are afraid of the initial leap and follow up costs.
“I would recommend anyone who is starting or rebuilding automation and wants to control costs, have multi-purpose equipment, full support, and no charges for software licenses to take a good look at Unitronics. I admit I have a long way to go and a lot to learn.
Nils went on to say:
“I am happy that I made the change because of the versatility of the software and equipment, service, support, and the lack of licensing costs. It is also very refreshing to me that I have their full support even though I am a very small customer. The entire team at Unitronics has been awesome. Thanks to all for the support of our program and venture.”
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- Biolyte-Orchid Scientific-Vijay EnterprisesPharmaceutical and Laboratory Applications –Automating with Unitronics PLC Controllers
- Hovendak DistillerySpirit Control! Bottling Gin, Vodka, Aquavit—with Unitronics PLCs
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Twisted Vine BreweryHow can craft brewers achieve the product consistency of larger operations despite limited automation experience?
- MSI TecCan a PLC survive in the Arizona desert?
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- BimetecHow can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
- TecnubelDecontaminating Nuclear Sites with Unitronics UniStream PLC+HMI
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- OPA consultingHow can retrofitting old controls with an all-in-one PLC improve machine flexibility?
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- StratasysUnitronics PLCs & Servos: Servo Made Simple Precision Motion Control in Extruder Application
- Grupo Electrotecnia GalianaRemote Control – HVAC Compressor Test Bench Meets Global Power Standards & Requirements
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?