Summary: Grupo Electrotecnia Galiana’s challenge: create a high-performance test bench to test HVAC compressors over the word-wide range of voltages & frequencies, while enabling remote commissioning & operation via Web browser & VNC.
Their choice: Unitronics’ UniStream controllers.
Control Engineer David Bragado of Grupo Electrotecnia Galiana in Madrid had a challenging project: a client needed a high-performance test bench, capable of testing HVAC compressors for the global market over a wide range of voltages and frequencies. The client also required Remote Access capabilities: operators must be able to remotely access and control the testing process.
Engineer Bragado had used Unitronics’ Vision programmable controllers in previous years for a number of projects in the water industry—but for this complex machine, he integrated a UniStream® USP-104-B10 PLC + HMI, a UniStream® USC-P-B10 PLC, and a selection of Uni-I/O®, in order to take advantage of advanced features.
HVAC compressors and needed a high-performance test bench, a machine to test each compressor before it leaves the factory. These HVAC compressors are manufactured for the global market—remember that countries have different power supply standards. Since, at the end site, the compressors must function at a wide range of different voltages and frequencies, the test bench had to be able to simulate any power supply in the world,
There are similar test bench machines with the same purpose, but not with this level of automation and performance. This was a new application, a project developed from scratch.
“I don’t think I could have done this project, which had so many different requirements, with any other single device.” “The functionality and versatility of the UniStream controller series is impressive—and it saves lots of time. It is also amazingly easy to set up the Web server and the VNC server. This last one is an amazing tool for commissioning and operation. Setting up communications is also fast and easy!”
Our test bench needed to meet these requirements:
- Power: In order to simulate power supplies world-wide, the bench had to be capable of generating from 12 VDC to 460 VAC in 50 or 60 Hz with a maximum power of 250 KVA.
- Voltage Control: 3 power lines had to work simultaneously.
UniStream had to provide accurate voltage at each output, by managing each individual line through separate sequences, commanding the speed drives, switches, contactors, variacs, and many other components.
The operator initiates a sequence by selecting the line (250KVA AC, 5KVA AC or 5KVA DC), frequency (50 or 60Hz) and the voltage to be set in the output.
After this, UniStream runs a sequence of steps: Closes some contactors, starts the speed drives if needed and closes the corresponding output of the transformer.
Once there is voltage in the output, UniStream automatically fine-tunes, regulating the voltage as close as possible to the set point. Depending on the load and the type of test, this voltage might change during the procedure, so the PLC continuously regulates the variacs in order to remain as close as possible to the set point.
- Data: There were also requirements for acquiring data in order to analyze it after the test. I used UniLogic’s built-in data functions to create timestamped datalogs of the tests, and then export them to .csv files for analysis.
- Remote Access: We needed to enable the operator to run tests while sitting in his office—or at home, for that matter. UniStream’s built-in VNC Server feature made this a snap, including commissioned the machine off-site, via VNC.
The main challenge was using a single controller to handle a long list of very different requirements and tasks. In addition to controlling the actual testing tasks, the PLC needed to handle communications - Modbus RTU and ModbusTCP, data logging and file handling, and well as enable remote operation.
There were specific challenges that I met by simply building my own functions—something that is very easy to do using UniLogic’s UDFB – User Defined Function Block – feature.
For example, I needed to regulate the variac. I could not use the built-in PID function because the variac is not an analogic actuator - it works by sending a digital command to increase or a digital command to decrease the voltage.
However, with UniLogic I was able to easily create my own PID function, which sent pulses to the variac according to the distance between the set point and the output voltage value. When the distance between the set point and voltage is decreasing, the pulse width decreases. When the distance is great, the pulse width increases, continuously regulating the voltage in order to reach set point.
They also created functions to enable operators to operate individual system components for easy system maintenance. I built function blocks for the contactors and the variacs, integrating auto/manual, interlocks and fail-to-start features. Then I made a template HMI screen for all these objects; this allowed me to create unique instances simply by indexing the structure to be displayed in the screen.
I had another challenge regarding Modbus—specifically, with the response speed of the 5 Modbus RTU slaves in our application. I solved it easily, by changing three of them to Modbus TCP. After that, we had Modbus RTU and TCP working together—this turned out to be a good solution. We were able to substantially increase network performance just by making a few changes in the PLC. Communication configuration is very easy with UniLogic.
The big advantage is the high level of functionality. Engineer Bragado keep saying: “I don’t think I could have met so many different requirements with any other single device—and I didn’t need licenses, or any additional hardware.”
- Communication configuration is very easy with UniLogic. I could communicate through Modbus RTU and change some slaves to TCP easily and have both working with excellent performance.
- Function blocks: which were essential in this project—are easy to build and re-use.
- HMI screens: it was very simple to develop a single template screen for my function blocks, to allow every component to be operated individually.
- Data, logged then exported to CSV files with the time and date of the tests for the operator—I didn’t need a separate data logger.
- Remote Access & Control—one of the most important advantages—I was able to set UniStream’s VNC server to allow me to perform the commissioning remotely, and to enable the operator to easily control the testing from the office or his home.
This is a very valuable aspect!
Customer’s Direct Feedbacks
Unitronics’ Technical Support
I used the Unitronics Support forum.
The people in this forum are just great. They are very active and they are always willing to help. And their technical knowledge is really incredible. I am grateful to them for their help. I asked questions regarding my Modbus issues, and also searched the forum for other information—very often, someone will have run into the same issue you are having, and the solution is posted on the forum.
In my previous company, I worked with a lot of Vision PLCs. We deployed dozens of V120 in wastewater treatment plants and water pumping stations all over Spain, to warn operators via SMS in case of alarms. We also performed a remote control project with 8 Vision deployed in different places and Indusoft Web Studio. When I arrived at my present company, they were already using Unitronics.
I think they are a perfect solution for these kinds of projects. Unitronics controllers are affordable, fast, clean, and you can breathe freely when you finish, because you know it all works. The durability of Unitronics PLCs is also amazing. I’ve seen V120s working for many years, under all kinds of harsh environmental conditions and treatment. I have experience working with other manufacturers, and it’s just too complicated, with different versions, different firmware, compatibilities, licenses, communication cards…
UniStream was perfect for this project—you have an all- in-one device, programming is very easy, communications are easy, the support is great and it has lots of functionalities.
David’s Personal Note & Summary
I am really proud of the result of the project. We built this great machine, unique in the world, and the Unitronics team is also responsible for our success, so thank you!
I don’t think I could have done this project, which had so many different requirements, with any other single device.
The functionality and versatility of the UniStream controller series is impressive—and it saves lots of development time. It is also amazingly easy to set up the Web server and the VNC server. This last one is an amazing tool for commissioning and operation. Setting up communications is also fast and easy!”
More Info & References
|Grupo Electrotecnia Galiana website|
|Find Your Solution|
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- MSI TecCan a PLC survive in the Arizona desert?
- Twisted Vine BreweryHow can craft brewers achieve the product consistency of larger operations despite limited automation experience?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- BimetecHow can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- OPA consultingHow can retrofitting old controls with an all-in-one PLC improve machine flexibility?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- StratasysUnitronics PLCs & Servos: Servo Made Simple Precision Motion Control in Extruder Application
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?