Stratays is a pioneer in the field of 3D printing, and also produces the materials for 3-D printers. When they ran into issues of worker safety and efficiency, they needed to automate a manual process.
Stratasys project engineer Yakir Cohen, chose Unitronics’ Servo made Simple solution.
What were the problems you needed to solve?
Engineer Yakir Cohen: At Stratasys, we produce both 3D printers and the materials they use to print. These materials are polymers, plastics that can be printed into products that serve a range of industries: consumer, medical, aerospace and many more.
Our 3D printers produce a broad variety of polymers. The raw materials of each batch differ, according to the properties required for the end products, such as hardness, tensile strength, flexibility, and of course we produce polymers in a range of colors.
The production process includes an extruder, with heaters located at exact, specific distances along its barrel. Since batches differ in raw materials and color, the extruder barrel must be thoroughly cleaned after each batch to prevent contaminating the next – colors, for example, if the first batch was yellow and the next one blue, we might wind up with green!
Before this project, the extruder was cleaned manually. Technicians insert a revolving tool, a brush attached to an automatic drill, into the barrel and to move it back and forth. The raw material tends to harden and accumulate where the heaters are located. Not only was manual cleaning a Sisyphean, time-consuming procedure.
Why did you select Unitronics?
When I began researching hardware components, I received strong recommendations about Unitronics control products and development software. as I learned about Unitronics’ Servo I understand that it made Simple approach. Their development software, UniLogic®, was supposedly structured in a simple way that saves a lot of development time. Also, I needed a PLC controller and two servos and motors for my project, and it was easier and faster to obtain them from one supplier.
A great feature of their UniStream line is Ready-Made Motion. Unitronics supplies motion code for Ladder and HMI – you download it to the PLC, enter parameters via HMI, and can immediately run axis movements such as Point-to-Point, Jog, Homing, etc. Our cleaning machine did not require an HMI panel, but all UniStream controllers support Virtual HMI applications.
Management had concerns regarding the feasibility of the project –the time frame raised project risk. I showed them that by using UniStream mitigated risk by demonstrating the solution: I downloaded the Ready-Made Motion code, then entered parameters and executed movements using VNC to access the PLC’s HMI application.
Can you tell us about project implementation and what were the benefits of using Unitronics?
The first benefit was ease of setup. In UniLogic, all we needed to do was select the models of the PLC, Servos, and Motors – communications were automatically set up, and the program suggested values based on the mechanical properties of the hardware.
After that, I built the control program using the drag & drop Motion Control functions; it was surprisingly easy. I ran diagnostics using UniLogics’ built-in scope, and used the tuning feature to adjust performance.
The finished machine inserts a rotating cleaning brush into the extruder barrel. One Servo precisely controls the depth of insertion into the barrel, halting at the exact points where heaters are located – these are dirtier areas where the materials tend to accumulate. The other Servo controls brush rotation, executing the torque needed to clean the barrel, for example increasing torque to clean dirtier areas, and limiting torque to prevent scratching or denting the extruder barrel.
I also use absolute positioning to provide for interrupted cleaning; if, for example the power fails during cleaning, when cleaning resumes, the machine continues from the exact point where the interruption occurs – this saves time. Once we had everything set up, we used UniLogic’s built-in scope and tuning features to get it all just right.
“I would like to again mention that this was the first time that I have ever written a control or motion control program – but UniLogic is a great programming platform. The environment for Servo operation and programming is intuitive and easy to use. We were concerned that this project would require a great deal of time – but Unitronics really has made Servo motion simple.”
We have a new project in the pipeline – rest assured that Unitronics will play its part!
- TAB d.o.oHow can PLC control ensure impeccable quality control?
- MinermixMinermix improves consistency of lime kiln with Unitronics Vision570
- Greenmove TechnologiesCan PLC control make it easier to create clean, environmentally friendly biogas?
- Song SengAll-in-one PLC automates beautiful fountain display, while saving the designers time and money
- ZdorovyeHow can you ensure quality control? Reduce human error with PLC automation and monitoring
- Education in MissouriHigh school students continue to expand biodiesel program with the help of Unitronics Vision570™
- Rene Tomingas FIECommunication-rich, All-in-One PLC links energy plants nation-wide
- INFO d.o.oUnitronics Samba was the ideal choice—easy programming, very nice, high-resolution screen and great price/performance ratio...
- DjurdjevicIs it possible for an automated system to run so efficiently you forget it’s there?
- Watt TechnologyCan one PLC be standardized calibration benches using different measurements?
- Schepers Techniek BVHow to reduce downtime with an all-in-one programming software?
- Imapsa AutomationWith fast delivery times, and constantly updated software, Unitronics has always listened to our customers many requests...
- Vapor Systems TechnologiesHow can the right industrial control solution improve quality assurance?
- 7th Settlement BreweryHow can local breweries achieve the consistency of national changes? PLC control helps 7th Settlement solve the problem
- Energy Plant SolutionsEasy Automation and Monitoring with All-In-One PLC Improves Machine Safety
- Mar Cor Purification Inc.Vision350™ and Vision570™ Speed development of a Portable Reverse Osmosis for Medical Applications
- Kone Cranes Hydraelectric Power Plant"Instead of learning a software to solve problems, you focus on the problem itself thanks to the opportunities supplied by user friendly programming"
- Shriram AutomationCan a PLC achieve the same results as a CNC controller?
- Waterplay® Solutions Corp IncHow to downsize your control system without losing functionality?
- MSI TecCan a PLC survive in the Arizona desert?
- Twisted Vine BreweryHow can craft brewers achieve the product consistency of larger operations despite limited automation experience?
- Marcé Fire Fighting TechnologyHow can industrial automation improve safety in dangerous professions?
- Gas Analysys"Unitronics’ PLC and programming software allowed flexibility to the customer, and the use of an SD card enables the customer to collect and analyze the data in an efficient way."
- BsiatecWhy innovative Bsiatec of Austria selected UniStream?
- Alana-Eco LLCIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- EV srlWhat is the ideal PLC solution for hydroelectric turbines?
- LLC Group 7easy to program, with a good number of useful features
- EKOIDEAHow can you achieve reliable, safe automatic control settings?
- Nitogen generator"With the simplicity of programing and wide variety of Unitronics products, we can now offer our clients a better looking yet simpler solution. Thanks to Unitronics our production runs smoother than before."
- Waste water treatment"Unitronics’ advanced communication options and temperature modules enabled us to offer the customer a cost-effective, accurate remote monitoring solution"
- NPP Tehnoavtomat"The big, colorful sensor display allows the operator to interact with the system effectively and allocate a lot of information on one display.”
- AquaRD Sp. z o.o.With a friendly development environment and unrivaled quality
- Shemeck“The PLC + HMI + I/O in on unit reduces time for programming and significantly reduces costs”
- The Eagle TheatreHow does industrial automation improve the performing arts?
- TESAN ELEKTRIK“The Jazz offered a low cost solution for analog control and data display and, thanks to the all-in-one concept, the customer was able to save on wiring"
- Aqua Interma EngineeringHow can water treatment systems kill microorganisms and ensure water purity?
- Coating SystemsLearn how an integrated HMI makes powerful PLC control accessible to users
- BimetecHow can you improve the speed and efficiency of a can packaging line? Retrofit with all-in-one PLC + HMI controller?
- ProcestehCan an All-in-One PLC make a machine easier to use?
- Industry Graphics Printing B3Servis d.o.o.How can PLC control improve process speed and reliability?
- OPA consultingHow can retrofitting old controls with an all-in-one PLC improve machine flexibility?
- Aaron Oil Company Inc.How can PLC control make used oil reclamation easier, greener and more efficient?
- ECH Engineering“We needed a reliable system, fast. Unitronics saved the day!”
- RackRayPLC Control Protects against Outages
- IGCP EngineeringControl & Automation with Vision™ V700 for Packaging & Bagging Systems
- ErreDuePLC+HMIs outperform microcontrollers without breaking the bank
- Tills InnovationsWater Features: Pump Control with the UniStream 10.4 PLC + HMI
- SPIN FXA Complete Brewery Control System for a Sophisticated Beer Production Process
- Nicolaides & Kountouris MetalReliable Automation Reduces Time and Effort Needed for Cutting Application
- Grupo Electrotecnia GalianaRemote Control – HVAC Compressor Test Bench Meets Global Power Standards & Requirements
- University of Johannesburg’s School of EngineeringHow can you install a PLC with remote monitoring and control in an area without electricity?
- Countersales UK LtdCounting on Control: PLC Control for Measurement Systems
- Shriram Automation in Thane, IndiaMotion Control: Unitronics PLCs & Servos Precisely Position Punch Press
- Schmachtl GmbH CopyIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- KNX GatewayUnitronics Introduces: KNX Gateway
- Hotel VanillaThe biggest advantage was the intuitive, integrated UniLogic environment for ladder and HMI programming
- Turkmenistan Aşgabat Dokuma ToplumuHow can a PLC improve operator efficiency?
- Mediamac Pte Ltd"Using the all-in-one was great to offer a nice-looking machine, with an attractive color-touch display while taking up little space"
- Samba™ – New I/O Configurations IncreaseUnitronics has now released four new models of Samba
- Samba™ RA22—The New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low CostSamba™ RA22—the New Configuration Jazz—High-speed at Low Cost
- Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!Control your application remotely from everywhere and anytime!
- Unitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panelUnitronics introduces new lower cost 7’’ UniStream™ panel
- Scada Network SolutionCan a PLC provide highly accurate temperature control?
- New Temperature I/O ModuleIntroducing a New Temperature I/O Module
- The University of CyprusHow can you achieve precise control over experimental environment? Automate pressure and vacuum control
- Schmachtl GmbHIntegrated PLC+HMI makes for easy integration and painless monitoring
- Eurotech Extrusion TechnologyAll-in-one PLC improves usability and reliability of extrusion equipment
- Jiri SramekMonitoring Paragliders, the Samba PLC+HMI takes flight
- ÜbermorgenCan PLC automation craft the perfect latte?
- Kolman d.o.o – Packaging Machinery OEMPackaging Machinery OEM Uses Vision570™ and Vision560™ as Primary Control
- TimberSoftHow can you upgrade timber drying kilns with reliable, automatic temperature control?